Do you ever get in that rut of lack of inspiration, new ideas, not sure what to do next?
Whether it's with your work, in your relationship, your writing, your art or maybe just life in general.
I know when I feel stuck I feel bored, I yearn for something to uplift me but if I just sit there and "try" to get my creative juices flowing again they refuse. Like a stubborn child.
Here's what I have learned to do to get me out of the rut.
1. Take yourself out and do something you haven't done before, or have been wanting to do for ages. It doesn't have to be related to anything you're working towards just something you think will be fun. It's often when you are doing something completely different that a new idea appears.
2. Write morning pages. Julia Cameron, The Artists Way, recommends writing 3 sides of A4 non stop when you get up in the morning. Just write what ever comes to mind, it doesn't have to make sense. It's a great tool to brain dump what ever is going on in your mind to allow space for new ideas to flow.
3. Spend some time in nature, in silence. Leave your phone at home and just go outdoors. Natures beauty inspires.
4. Have an adventure. Just get in the car, on a bus, train, plane and go somewhere new to explore.
5. Spend a couple of days doing everything differently, from the route you walk to work, the time you go to bed, the clothes you wear, the music you listen to, the food you eat. It's amazing how much we are creature of habit and it requires a lot of creativity to think up new ways to break them. Plus it's fun!
6. Do some yoga. I often find Savasana at the end is where my best ideas and insights pop up. When I am still, when I have emptied my mind, when I am not trying to do anything other than relax.
The main things is there's no point trying to force creativity to happen, it will flow naturally again when you've created some space for it, and when you are having fun.