Is there something you want to do but for some reason you are just not doing it? You know you really want it but it's just not happening. You feel stuck, the more stuck you feel the worse you feel and then it's even hard to get out the stuck-ness. It can feel impossible to get motivated to do anything.
This feeling of being stuck often is covering up something else and uncovering what it is can be the key to get you in to action.
To explore what it might be try out these following questions:
- What are you pretending in this situation? For example what is the story you are telling yourself or others about why you are stuck.
- What are you really covering up here? What is really going on. Is there a fear? Fear can keep us in our safety zone. Do you even really want this? Lack of motivation often means what you want to achieve isn't really something you are passionate about but instead something you feel you "should" do.
- What impact is this having on you?
- How is this impacting other people in your life?
- What would be a new, more empowering way to be in this situation?
- How will you be behaving if you are being like this?
- What is one action you could do now, being this way, to get you started?
- DO IT!
Sometimes just getting started is the hardest part. Picking something small and taking a baby step can get you going on your way.
If you are really sure this is something you 100% want but you just keep procrastinating, then another trick is to set something up to put some pressure on yourself, a deadline. I have been thinking about writing a book for a while now but it's been the first thing that slips when my time is busy because there has not been a set deadline. Until now. I am entering a competition to win a book publishing deal and the deadline is in April. Now that is still quite far away so I have also set up a chat with a publishing adviser to help me with my book idea in 3 weeks time, this will definitely get me into action to have something prepared to talk to her about then.
These days the on line world, especially social media sites, can be a complete distraction. If you find yourself putting something off but spending hours on line then give your self a digital detox! Switch off for a while so you can focus on what you really want to achieve.
Ultimately if you really want something in your life it's up to you to make it happen, no one else. Procrastinating can be so soul destroying as whilst you are doing nothing you are often feeling bad about not doing the very thing you want to be. Either do nothing and enjoy it or get into action!
"If it's to be, it's up to me"
If you still find yourself struggling, I can help you with Life Coaching & NLP, please give me a call for a chat to find out how. 07779 150886.